You are the voice. We are the echo.
The Echo
Taylor University, Upland, IN
Friday, April 19, 2024
The Echo
9950D253-E51F-4825-A040-D9900C57E880_1_105_c.jpeg

The Echo editors share thankful thoughts

Staff shares what they are thankful for this season

Though there have been ups and downs that have brought us here, we’ve nonetheless arrived at another Thanksgiving season, a time to pause and consider the many blessings along the way. In the spirit of the season, we asked some of our Echo editors to share what they are thankful for in 2021.

Senior Holly Gaskill, Co-Editor in Chief: “I’m really thankful for all the different ways God has led me through this year and provided for me in a lot of ways I didn’t quite expect. It’s just been a really beautiful year to see how God has shown up in new friendships and opportunities.”

Senior Ellie Tiemens, Co-Editor in Chief: “I am thankful that I have people in my life who are praying for me and (have) encouraged me in a lot of different ways to make my senior year fruitful. I’m also thankful for ‘New Girl’ and the Jumping Bean.”

Junior Hailey Hendricks, A&E Editor: “I am super thankful for the opportunity just to be back on campus with everyone this fall, for the people I get to live with and how God has just provided for this season in many, many ways.”

Sophomore Kay Rideout, L&T Co-Editor: “I’m thankful for a really rich semester with classes that challenge me and friends that encourage me.”

Senior Leah Ryg, L&T Co-Editor: “I’m thankful for this year in general, even though it’s looked different than past years. I’m really thankful for my roommates and for my friends that are just really life-giving and make me laugh — they just love me like Jesus does. And also, I think God has been teaching me a lot of things about himself and the power of prayer and just providing for me.”

Emma Stotz, Opinions Co-Editor: “I think that some things I’ve been thankful for is just how a lot of my relationships have deepened in really unique ways that I haven’t experienced in a long time before this year. And so, that’s just grown me and my ability to interact with my friends in more close and vulnerable ways.”

Sophomore Kyla Russell, News Co-Editor: “This semester, I’m super thankful for the new ways I’ve seen God manifest his faithfulness — a lot of times through art and through music, and that’s been different than in the past.”

Junior Markus Miller, Co-Managing Editor: “I’ve been super thankful this semester for the consistency and the foundation that the Lord provides no matter what you’re going through.”

Sophomore Amelia Bostick, Features Co-Editor: “I’m really thankful for the friendships that have grown and been strengthened and also the new friendships I’ve been able to make, as well as my fish, my cat and my dog. Very thankful.”

Sophomore Marissa Muljat, Features Co-Editor: “I’m thankful that this semester has been filled with joy and laughter and that I’m able to feel at home at a place that is so far from my home.”

Alan Blanchard, Faculty Adviser and Associate Professor of Journalism: “I’m thankful for several things. I’m thankful that Markus Miller has so well represented his gender — it takes a lot of bravery to represent your gender when you’re the only one (on the Editorial Board) … And on an even more positive note, I am just so impressed, and confirms what I’ve known all along, that the female gender is superior to the male gender. And the female editors and section editors and designers have just done a superb job. I have advised student newspapers — this is my 25th year — and I’ve never had a more fun, more talented, more expert team of editors in my whole professional career. And, of course, I appreciate my wife and my kids, my grandkids and my son’s two golden doodles.”