You are the voice. We are the echo.
The Echo
Taylor University, Upland, IN
Friday, April 26, 2024
The Echo
The Echo staff placed 2nd in small university newspapers.

The Echo wins state press awards

ICPA awards Taylor writers

The Echo newspaper recently took home the second place award for their division of newspaper in the Indiana Collegiate Press Association’s (ICPA) contest. 

Taylor University’s student newspaper, placed in division three, was beat out by Goshen College’s “The Record.”

Alan Blanchard, associate professor of journalism, is the faculty adviser for The Echo.

“The Echo team’s recognition at this statewide level is well-deserved,” he said.

The Echo competed against newspapers from schools such as Anderson University, Goshen College, Manchester College and Wabash College. 

In addition to their team second place award, Echo staff members took home individual awards for best stories in many different categories. Overall, they received six first place awards, seven second place awards and two third place awards. 

Junior Holly Gaskill received first place awards for best in-depth story, best entertainment column, best review and a second place award for best feature story. 

Sophomore Markus Miller received first place for best sports column and second and third place for best sports news story. Junior Kyle Hayward placed second place for best sports column. 

Sophomores Ansley Kary and Mer Fenton took first place in best news or feature story and best entertainment story, respectively. 

Senior Sam Jones was awarded second places in best in-depth story and best opinion column. 

Kary and junior Ellie Tiemens won second place for best news story and junior Lucas Bertsche took third place for best review. 

The Echo Editorial Board also took a second place award for best staff editorial in their Our View column called “Our response matters.” 

“The Echo is made up of (a) great team of students from a variety of majors from across campus, led this year by senior Sam Jones and junior Holly Gaskill, co-editors-in-chief,” Blanchard said. “The students work very hard creating compelling, interesting stories week in and week out. And the Taylor University community benefits from their creative skills and talents that include writing, editing, photography, graphic design and more.” 

See the full list of ICPA awards in the linked website on the online version of this article.