You are the voice. We are the echo.
The Echo
Taylor University, Upland, IN
Thursday, May 16, 2024
The Echo

Women’s soccer leaves cougar cup with 5-0 shutout

BY: Nick Van Heest, Sports Writer

The Taylor women's soccer team left the University of Saint Francis Cougar Cup on a high note, thumping Rochester College 5-0 on Sept. 1, a day after losing 2-1 to Cornerstone University in overtime. "Against Rochester we were able to settle down, find teammates and run patterns," said senior defender Leah Beck. "We also finished well, especially at the end of the second half." Freshman forward Madison Thompson began the scoring in the 11th minute, converting a perfect pass from junior forward Molly Drooger. Senior midfielder Kim Cleary doubled the Trojans' advantage in the 25th minute as Taylor took a 2-0 lead into the halftime break. Drooger, the Trojans' all-time leading scorer, made the score 3-0 in the 82nd minute before Cleary added her second goal of the day in the 85th off an assist from senior midfielder Emily Von Raesfeld. Thompson capped off the scoring in the 89th minute with her fifth career goal. Taylor recorded 21 shots and 18 shots on goal, while Rochester managed three shots and a single shot on target. "Ball control was key," senior defender Natalie Wisely said. "We controlled the game and were able to work the ball up the field and into the back of the net." The Trojans found themselves competing against a more challenging opponent Aug. 31, going toe-to-toe with the Golden Eagles of Cornerstone. Taylor trailed 1-0 to Cornerstone at halftime, but equalized early in the second half through a Drooger strike. Neither offense could find a breakthrough in regulation play, but Cornerstone won the match with a goal in the first overtime period. Both teams recorded eight shots and five shots on goal. "Cornerstone was comparable to how the tough teams in our conference will be," Drooger said. "They played fast and were very physical, so it was good to see what those teams will look like and how we need to play against them." "Both teams were very evenly matched and had similar playing styles," Head Coach Scott Stan added. Taylor (3-1) is back in action at 1 p.m. Sept. 7 as the Trojans head to Wilmore, Ky., to take on Asbury.