You are the voice. We are the echo.
The Echo
Taylor University, Upland, IN
Friday, May 17, 2024
The Echo

Men’s Golf Takes 6th at IWU

BY: Jeff Yoder, Sports Co-Editor

Published: Sept. 14, 2012

The Taylor men's golf team opened its fall season this week as the Trojans took sixth place out of 10 teams in the Indiana Wesleyan Invitational on Sept. 10-11.

The Trojans carded rounds of 313 on Sept. 10 and 307 on Sept. 11, but looked promising in their performance from top to bottom as they totaled 620 for the tournament.

"Ultimately, I was really encouraged," said Head Coach Cameron Andry. "We'll be fine. We just have to have the right five in there at the right time."

Referring to impressive individual scores by sophomore Tucker Fahlen (77, 75) and freshman Elio Vento (82, 70), Andry stressed how well the squad played from top to bottom.

"The talent is definitely there," Andry said. "We have a lot of talent, and we just have to put it all together."

Led by junior Elliot Day's sixth place performance with a first-round score of 77 and a second-round 72, the Trojans weren't far from a top three finish. Only seven strokes separated them from edging out Indiana Wesleyan (618), Bethel (616) and Marian (613).

"I think now that we have a tournament under our belt, the team will be able to go forward with some more confidence the rest of the fall season," said sophomore Nate Scheibe.

Scheibe was second for the Trojans with scores of 77 and 74. He sunk a 50-foot birdie putt on hole 15 Tuesday to highlight his second-round performance.

Junior Brandon Tereshko put up scores of 77 and 81, while senior Jimmy Fahlen penciled an 83-80, and sophomore Grant Hall recorded an 82-88 outing.

The two individual participants, Tucker Fahlen and Vento, each shot a 152 overall tying for third on the Trojans' squad. The ability to play any set of guys seems to be a luxury that not all teams have.

"As a coach, you're kicking yourself," Andry said. "But from day to day, when you've got seven to eight really talented guys, you just don't know. I would much rather have eight guys that can play and maybe play the wrong ones then have four guys who can play."

The Trojans are seven deep for now, but they're still awaiting the debut of freshman Stefan Fahlen who has been healing a fractured wrist.

The two newcomers, Day and Vento, began their Taylor careers with promising displays. Vento's Tuesday score of 70 was the second-best round by any player in the tournament.

"That's a good performance for him," Andry said. "He's got that game. He can flat out play."

Trey Stoll of Grace was the top player in the tournament with an even-par 144.

The Trojans' next event is Sept. 24-25 at the Battle at Blackthorn in South Bend, Ind., hosted by Bethel.