You are the voice. We are the echo.
The Echo
Taylor University, Upland, IN
Saturday, May 18, 2024
The Echo

Football Takes Down Tigers for No. 23 Ranking

BY: Jordan Miller, Staff Writer

Published: Sept. 14, 2012

Coming off a dominant performance against Anderson, Taylor had its sights set on the first home game of the season in the new Trojan Stadium.

On Sept. 8, 1,552 fans gathered as the Trojans fought to another dominating victory, winning 41-14 over the Iowa Wesleyan Tigers. Taylor dictated the game with highlight plays, crucial stops and big hits.

The Trojans accrued 411 yards of offense to Iowa Wesleyan's 224 yards. They pounded 260 yards rushing against against the Tigers while holding them to a mere three yards on the ground.

This season, the Trojans' rock solid defense has held their opponents to a combined total of minus 8 yards rushing.

Senior quarterback Nick Freeman completed 14 of his 18 passes for 124 yards and three touchdowns. Freeman has now completed 34 of 42 passes on the season for an 81 percent completion rate. He's also racked up seven touchdowns and just one interception.

Taylor was firing on all cylinders as they took control in the first half.

Senior wide receiver Darvon Blackmon put the Trojans in command after two touchdown catches from Freeman. Blackmon went on to have a career-high day with five catches for 57 yards and three touchdown receptions.

"Nick (Freeman) just had confidence in me (and) kept throwing me the ball," Blackmon said. "I was getting open and he was just putting the ball in the right spot."

One spectacular play boosted Taylor's momentum and earned the No. 4 spot on ESPN's SportsCenter Top Plays.

In the wildcat formation, sophomore Robbie Robbins took the snap at the 30-yard line and charged forward, weaving in and out of players on the line of scrimmage while breaking two tackles before finding daylight down the Taylor sideline.

Freshman wide receiver Shawn Lashbrook's vicious crack block rattled his opponent as Robbins scampered down the sideline, evading one last tackler on his way to a 70-yard touchdown.

"There was a lot going on with that play," said Head Coach Ron Korfmacher. "We didn't have the right personnel in. Then the play clock was running down, and then it was almost a broken play, but the thing about Robbie is that he always gets north and south eventually."

After a tremendous first half on offense, Blackmon did his share on defense, as well. After a Trojan interception, Blackmon hunted down Iowa Wesleyan's defensive back to the 5-yard line where Blackmon punched out the ball, causing a fumble that was recovered by Taylor in the end zone for a touchback.

"That was a great play," Korfmacher said. "To see a guy who's already scored three touchdowns in a game where we have a big lead make that kind of effort was pretty cool."

Freshman kicker Alec Eickert was also on fire in the second half. After hitting a 27-yard field goal late in the third quarter, Eickert fueled a kicked from 48 yards out with just enough juice, extending the lead to 41.

The Trojan defense stirred up havoc in the backfield all afternoon as they recorded four sacks and seven tackles for loss.

Sophomore safety Adam Sauder led the defense with six tackles while sophomore Taylor Borst had an interception and senior Brett Vacek had a fumble recovery.

The Trojans travel to Iowa Sept. 15 to face No. 9 St. Ambrose at 2 p.m.