You are the voice. We are the echo.
The Echo
Taylor University, Upland, IN
Thursday, May 16, 2024
The Echo

No. 11 volleyball opens action in Iowa

BY: Jeff Yoder, Sports Co-Editor

Published: Aug. 24, 2012

Taylor Athletics has an exciting feeling this year with new facilities and additions all around. It's no surprise the Taylor volleyball team has followed suit and generated similar excitement. The Trojans get set for the 2012 season Friday against Benedictine at the Grand View University Tournament in Des Moines, Iowa. They begin their second consecutive season at No. 11 in the preseason poll despite graduating three key seniors. "I think it's an acknowledgment of all the other coaches nationwide of the type of program that we run," Head Coach Brittany Smith said. "They know we're going to come and compete." The Trojans of 2011 finished 31-9 overall and No. 15 in the nation. They took the Crossroads League title with a record of 17-1. With the loss of three important players, they've reloaded their roster and coaching staff by adding seven freshmen and a new assistant coach, Mark Lau. Lau's primary responsibility will be coaching the Trojans' attacking and blocking in the front line. "It's exciting for our program to give our hitters feedback from two different coaches," Smith said. Lau was a member of the men's volleyball team at Ball State University in 1999 and 2000. During the 1999 season, he ranked third in blocking in Division I. He then played professionally for a year in Schuttorf, Germany. He brings knowledge and experience to an athletic frontline. "I think we're going to be pretty explosive and dynamic in the front row," Smith said. Young talent matched with veteran hitters has created a lot of hype for the 2012 squad. The Trojans graduated their team leader in kills, Kelsey Pritchard, and the team leader in sets, Betsy Brown. They also graduated senior middle hitter Bethany Beck. Of the veteran hitters remaining, junior Ashlyn Dehoogh was second in kills for the Trojans last season with 407 and senior Ali Swart was third with 287. Senior Courtney Herschberger returns at libero, and a host of other experienced Trojans should continue the trend of success. With five straight Crossroads titles, the 2012 team looks to become league champion in the first year of the conference's new name. Rival Indiana Wesleyan University comes in at No. 9 in the nation. The Wildcats threatened the Trojans' streak last year, finishing 16-2 and just a game back of the conference crown. "Our expectation is that we're going to compete for the conference," Smith said. Conference championships have become a trend for Smith's recent squads. High expectations haven't changed despite a roster with many new faces. "Obviously, we've gotten some high rankings in the preseason, and we're going to try to live up to it," Smith said. Living up to expectations starts Aug. 24 with early tests against Benedictine at 3 p.m. and No. 13 Grand View at 7 p.m. Tournament action continues Aug. 25 as the Trojans face Evangel at 11 a.m. and Hastings at 3 p.m. The Trojans will host the Trojan Classic Tournament Aug. 31 and Sept. 1, starting with a 5 p.m. debut against Robert Morris. The Trojans are primed for another great season, and they're anxious to prove it. "They want to do something exciting," Smith said. "They want to do something significant, and they want to do it in a Christ-like way."